Wednesday, June 29, 2011

And so the Odyssey begins.........

After years of dreaming and months of planning the day has finally arrived. Today I leave on my personally highly anticipated around the world odyssey (ATWOD). This adventure has literally been rattling around in my mind for most of my life. We were cleaning out a closet in our home last month, in preparation for some remodeling, when I came across a toy I had as a child; a 3-D picture viewer. You placed a card with 2 photos on it into the slot and looked through a binocular like device to view 3-D images of historic monuments and exotic locales; Mt. Rushmore, Eiffel Tower, Ankor Wat, pyramids along the Nile, the Great Wall of China, Victoria Falls and dozens and dozens of other places from around the world. Every week the local grocery store gave the cards away or sold them at minimal cost as a promotional tool to entice you to shop.  Every day I would look at these images and dream of someday visiting each and every one of them. And when I was in high school I set up a folder to collect information and money for a trip to Australia after I graduated.  I still have the folder with “Australia 1976” written on the cover in fading pencil. The info and money are long gone, but the dream was still inside. Why it didn’t happen back then I don’t recall….. life happens.  But here it is 35 years later and in a few hours I will be boarding a plane heading for my first stop (after a minor layover in L.A.) Sydney Australia.  It may take a while, but sometimes dreams do come true.

Life is short….. do what you love.

G'day

norb

No comments:

Post a Comment