Friday, September 2, 2011

Do you Wananavu?..............

One beautiful view of Fiji
The main road
Bula! That is the greeting you will hear from everyone you meet in Fiji whether in the hotel, the villages or just passing people on the road; and it’s usually accompanied by a wide happy smile. The flight from Sydney to Nadi, pronounced Nandi, on the island of Viti Levu took 3.5 hours over hundreds of miles of open water. The drive from Nadi to the resort of Wananavu took almost as long covering only a fraction of that distance along the only road that circumnavigates the island; mostly paved, sometimes gravel, and like roads in any city, under construction. The going is also slow because the road travels through the many Fijian villages where your rate is reduced even further through the use of speed humps, but what’s your hurry, you’re now on Fiji time. That’s another statement you also hear quite often, “Fiji time”, a pace a little slower, and a little more relaxed than the rapid pulse our normal day-to-day life. Viti Levu is the largest one of more than 300 islands that make up the Fiji archipelago. The area is divided into 14 provinces and further divided into districts within the provinces; Wananavu  is on the north end of the island in the Raki Raki district of the Ra province, and a million miles from your worries and cares. Leaving the main thoroughfare, 
View along the gravel road
Wananavu  sits on a peninsula 2.5 miles down a dusty, pot-holed, gravel road which I came to know quite well as it became the avenue of my daily ramble for there is no fitness center; there is no phone, no TV.  You don’t come here for those things, you come here to get away from those things; and for many, you come here to dive.





The small boat
The reefs around Fiji have some of the best soft coral in the world.  There were two large groups of divers at the resort when I arrived; one from New Jersey and the OBCD’s (Old Broads Dive Club). I was talking to one of the ladies of the club and she said started diving when she was 58, she is now 63. Later I would dive with Bob, 73, and at the next island a young boy age 10 would be part of our dive group. It just goes to show that diving is relatively safe, not too physically demanding and a sport that can be enjoyed at all ages. The big boat was full the first day, so instead of going out with the seasoned divers I opted to join two novice divers, Graham and Marcella, a honeymoon couple from Portland, Oregon. We took the small boat over to another island about 15 minutes across the water where we would start with a shore dive. To me the leaky wooden vessel, with warped floor and 75hp outboard engine that wouldn’t initially start, did not inspire confidence and looked too undersized for Lake Michigan yet alone an open expanse of ocean, however it did not fail and served us well the whole time. We landed on the beach and as we were preparing for our dive I looked across the water to my home island for the week; a volcanic, mountainous, land mass, covered in lush green vegitation, rising from the cerulean water,  reaching upward into the sapphire sky and golden yellow sunshine. The image was out of this world and I commented aloud “I can’t believe I’m in Fiji”
Heading out to dive
and had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. How did I get so lucky to come to this island paradise? There wasn’t much to the first or second dives, they were more to get Marcella and Graham comfortable in the water, but on the second day we moved out to the deep water of “The Bligh”. The Bligh, named after the captain of “The Bounty”, is a stretch of sea that separates Fiji’s two main islands, and the one’s I would be visiting, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu. . Kudos must be given to the Fijian crew, these guys are amazing. Without GPS and no buoys to mark the reefs (they keep getting stolen even if they use just an empty plastic Fiji water bottle) these seamen can find the dive locations in a great plane of plain blue sea just by using landmarks on the island, an island I could barely see at times because of the clouds; paradise is not sunny all the time. The water where the coral reefs lie is a lighter blue than the deep blue surrounding them but to be able to know that the reef we want is this one and not the one a hundred or two yards further is pretty amazing. Our dive spot this time was “Heaven’s Swimthrough”, and heaven it was.  Fantastic canyons of feathery soft coral, like living pieces of dainty lace, growing out from the ravine walls and up from the sea floor. The passages were sometimes barley wider than shoulder length apart, but always breathtaking in their color, fragile delicate beauty and filled with fish. On this dive I had reduced my weights and felt and my buoyancy control improve dramatically; from that point on all my dives became much more fun and enjoyable. The following evening before I arrived at dinner Marcella would be recounting her experience to Ben and Rachel, the husband and wife resort managers. She was telling them how good she felt swimming in, out and through the narrow coral passage and how she thought she was doing very well for a beginner. Unfortunately her bubble as a
The dive team
 diving savant was burst when Kristen, our dive master, let on that she (Kristen) was swimming behind Marcela holding onto her tank and actually guiding her throughout the dive. The letdown was pricelessly funny and Marcela took it all with great humor. That evening I entered the dining room, as I had the previous nights, expecting to have a quiet dinner by myself writing in my journal and working on my blog. We had a late lunch that afternoon because diving took a little longer than usual so I didn’t go to dinner until 8:00. As I came through the door I hear this shout “There he is, NORB!” It was like I was entering the “Cheers” bar and I was Norm. Astonished, I didn’t know what was going on. Marcela and Graham, who seemed to have started celebrating their last night a little early, were talking to Ben and Rachel about me; don’t know why. Days before I had just met them, did a couple dives with them and had the courteous conversation you would have with interesting people you had just met; nothing out of the ordinary. Apparently they had  been waiting for me and there was an ongoing running joke that Rachel didn’t think I existed as she had not met me earlier in the week and hadn’t seen me around. She and Ben usually introduce themselves to the guests, but I had come in under their

These things are worth a fortune in Australia
radar. They invited me to join them for a drink and then to dinner. We laughed hard and talked for hours. It was after midnight before we finished; Ben had to catch a flight in the morning and sadly Marcela and Graham would be leaving that afternoon. It was a great evening and another example of the fun of flying. (Marcela, if you’re reading this, I’m still waiting for that photo.)









On the third day I dove on the big boat with the more experienced divers. It was there I met a retired couple from Texas.  The lady l is an award winning underwater videographer. They have been to all 7 continents, over 70 countries and have dove pretty much all the great spots in the world so I thought this would be a great learning opportunity, and it was. I learned she is a b…..,
The big boat
somewhat unpleasant person. Self-important and disdainful, I did not hear a please or thank pass her lips the entire time.  She was constantly telling her husband what to do, demanding things instead of asking and nothing was ever right or good enough for her; the soup too spicy, the other divers idiots, the dive master swimming too fast for her to video. I once commented on the beauty of the coral and her response, said with contempt, was “I don’t care about coral, I’m only interested in the small stuff”. I’m a new diver, so I’m still looking at the forest, for her videos she is not looking at the forest or the trees, but is down to the blades of grass, yet for all her experience in some ways I am a better diver. Several times I saw her touching the coral and moving it out of the way for a better shot or resting her fins on it and damaging it just to steady herself for the sake of her video, all things a respectful diver is not supposed to do. On my last night, as I walked into the dining room, they were sitting at a table and asked me to join them for dinner. Not having a good excuse to say “NO” and knowing that I would be in the bus with them the following morning for the long ride back to the airport I politely sat down, but once she had finished eating it was, Okay I’m done so we’re going back to our room now, even though I still had food on my plate. Not everyone you meet while flying is fun.
View of the islands from a kayak

One of the activities offered was a boat tour around a few of the nearby islands, so I joined Johnathan and Carol on this voyage. I would join them again later on a bamboo rafting expedition. Johnathan, it was always Johnathan, not John or Johnny, was an anthropology professor from England who had lost his job and couldn’t find another one in the UK so he and his wife Carol moved to Poland. Johnathan was an interesting character who asked a lot of unanswerable questions. We cruised around three islands. One was bought by some guy who gave it to his daughter as a wedding present; and it is a substantial sized island, covered by jungle and with some great beaches. The only inhabitants were the caretaker and his family. Our Fijian “tour guide” didn’t know the name of the owner. I was going to ask them if I could use their island sometime since they really weren’t using it. The second island, “Dolphin Island”, has only one hotel on it with four “bures”. Bures are the traditional style of housing in Fiji. Like island log cabins, they are simple dwellings with high steep thatched roofs and screened windows with jalousie shutters instead of glass. It’s what I stayed in while at Wananavu and later at Daku, but I’m sure the ones on Dolphin Island are much nicer. I looked it up on the internet. When you rent the place, you get the whole island for yourself. If you only rent one bure, it was something like $28,000 dollars for 4 nights. If you could get 3 other couples to join you, the price dropped to something like $12,000. You’re paying for privacy. The guide said that when you own property in Fiji, you don’t own the beach up to 6 feet from the water line. Supposedly everyone has access to all the beaches. I’d like to show up at Dolphin Island sometime and plant myself on the beach to test that rule and exasperate the
paying patrons. The third island had two backpacker hostels and a few private homes. Virtually all the nice homes on the islands are owned by outsiders, many from Australia and New Zealand. They use them as vacations homes and rent them out when they’re not staying there. Also on this island was a deserted hostel. It was bought out about 6 years ago by some large hotel chain that was going to develop a resort but their plans fell through and now it sits abandoned. The Fijian guys miss it because they said it was always busy which brought substantial income to the island. It was kind of eerie walking around the empty grounds. I hiked up to the lookout tower and almost fell through the rotting floorboards. There was even a helicopter landing pad up there. We did a little snorkeling from the sandy beach before heading back.

Another reason there may be no worries
The other activity I took part in was a trip to one of the villages, Barotu,  for bamboo river rafting. The resort is working with some of the nearby villages to promote cultural tourism and provide them a means of income. When you enter a village, you are always invited to a “kava” ceremony. Kave is a drink made from the ground up root of the kava plant mixed with a little water and squeezed by hand through a kava rag. It is non-alcoholic, but contains an active ingredient that numbs the lips, tongue and mouth, and supposedly has a calming, sedative effect. Maybe that’s why “No worries” is another popular phrase. I never felt anything more than the numbing effect because I could never drink more than one cup, but would see the men drinking it all evening.  It has a bitter medicine tang, looks like gray, dirty dishwater and tastes awful. Everyone sits on the matted floor as you are offered a cup of kava. You are required to clap once, accept the cup, and drink. While you are drinking everyone else stares at you and claps. Clapping is a big part of the ceremony.



A village house
 By US standards the houses in the village we visited are nothing more than tin shacks raised off the ground to avoid the damp earth and seasonal heavy rains. There is running water and there are flushing toilets, although they are outside the houses and barely a step up from an open pit outhouse. If you judge just by the houses then Fiji would seem like a poor country, but if you look at the homes, i.e. the families and people filling the houses, then Fiji is rich and prosperous. Everywhere I went the people were welcoming and friendly. Always with a big smile and a happy Bula!. Extended families seemed to be the norm. The children would come out to meet us smiling, laughing, curious and full of joy. You could see it on their faces as the school bus returned them back to the village or when they were playing with a ball half filled with air. When I was taking one of my daily walks down the road I could see children running in joyful abandonment, mother doing the wash, father tending to the animals in the field and the grandmother fetching water from a well.  Family and friends visit, sit, talk and seem to really take pleasure in being together. They have little in material things but seem to have everything spiritually. I was talking to Ben about going fishing one day. I asked him what would I do with all the fish I’d catch. (Hey, you have to think positive.) He said no problem they would use them in their kitchen. He then went on to say that
Children come out to say Bula!
sometimes he has trouble getting fish because the fishermen will go fish and catch enough for himself and his family, If there happens to be extra he will sell them, but he won’t go fishing again until he needs more fish for his family. The thought of continuing to fish just to make extra money doesn’t cross his mind. Why would he need more, when he has everything he needs? He doesn’t need two cars, a larger house, bigger boat, etc. he has something more valuable, time to enjoy friends, family and life. Maybe there’s a lesson to be learned.

Crusing on a Sunday afternoon 
The bamboo river rafting was interesting too. The bamboo raft is a mode of transportation and way of life for this village on the river. In addition to Johnathan and Carol, we were joined by an Aussie couple, Ian and Jane, who came to Fiji with their four children ages 2-12. They did not bring their brood on the rafting tour because they were not sure what we would encounter but later regretted the decision because it would have been a wonderful experience for the children. Together we were carefully boarded onto two long bamboo rafts in a muddy, black, mangrove lined river. It was strange as we were helped onto the rafts as too avoid getting our feet wet or stepping in the mud and given towels to sit on to soften our seats, yet the men and fifteen year old boy poling our craft or “like punting at Oxford” as Johnathan tried to explain, had no problem standing
The pole boy
barefoot, waist deep in the murky water. I wondered how they view us and our apparently delicate ways. As we went downriver we learned about the plants, mostly mangrove, along the banks and their traditional uses. Several times we got stuck on a shallow sand bar and the boy would jump off the raft and struggle to pull us to deeper water.  We came to the confluence with another river which was our turning around point. We were told that ships used to ply this river carrying sugar cane to the coast and that one sunk in this very spot. They insisted the river was 300 feet deep at this location. I found that hard to believe given the narrowness of the river and the shallowness of the river we were on, but what does this city kid know.  On the way back, the boy jumped off the raft and ran into the jungle while we continued along. A little while later he emerged upstream carrying a handful of something. When he rejoined us on the raft we saw that he had caught some mud crabs. People from river villages catch the crabs for food and sell them
Yummy!
along the roadside for about $2.00 a dozen. We saw many of them, along with fish mongers, as drove to and from the airport. Of course the boy had to pull the pincher claws off the crabs before handing them to us to look at; wouldn’t want the city folk to be nipped. I wonder if it is tough for him to do that, not because it’s physically difficult, but the claw is the meatiest part and it would be like throwing away good food. I’m sure their mothers love them, but mud crabs are not cute.


After dinner on the last night before you leave, the staff at Wananavu get together and sing to you “Isa Lei”, a traditional Fijian farewell song. The words to the song and their translation I don’t know, but the poignant melody, beautiful chorus, sweet harmonies, and lovely voices conveyed the sentiment; we are sad that you are leaving and will miss you when you’re gone.  I know they sing the song almost every day, but they do it with such feeling, passion and delight that I truly believe they will miss you when you’re gone. It’s quite emotional and touches your heart. Now whenever I hear that song I will be transported back to the tropical paradise and smiling faces that is Fiji.
Odysseying can be hard work


Do you Wananavu?...........I think you do.

Norb

Next stop SavuSavu

No comments:

Post a Comment